Tap Into the Multigenerational Market
Forty percent of all active leisure travelers have taken at least one multigenerational trip in the past year, according to Preferred Hotel Group.
Making family memories and spending time with far-flung family members are cited as top reasons for multigenerational travel. Some factors to keep in mind when marketing to this demographic:
- Multigenerational travelers are seeking group pricing, celebration event packaging, multiroom packages, family-style dinners, family reunion activities, and portrait photographers.
- Beaches and theme parks are the most popular destinations, but a significant portion of travelers seek more uncommon experiences. River cruises, ski vacations, and other activity based-adventures are popular choices amongst multigenerational travelers. Packages that offer a range of activities for travelers of all ages are key.
- Thirty-eight percent of multigenerational travelers used a travel agent for their most recent trip, and forty-one percent plan to do so for future multigenerational travel.
- Children do the planning; grandparents write the check. And grandchildren's desires often take top priority.
- Facebook is the preferred social media platform of this demographic.
- There's a great potential for return patronage. The Preferred Hotel Group's research revealed that seventy-seven percent of those who took a multigenerational trip wished to do so every year. And thirty-five percent intend to return to the same destination for their next multigenerational vacation.
Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net.